Saturday, November 8, 2008

my articulate husband

So I have realized over and over again, just how articulate Matt can be. He really amazes me when he starts talking about something that we have both witnessed or have been a part of, and he describes it with such clarity. It really amazes me! And I am so grateful for it, because so often i feel that what I want to say is so wrapped up inside of me, that I would speak as if looking through a microscope instead of looking out across the grand canyon. I suffer sometimes from speaking from the wrong perspective.

So tonight, as we drove during our date night, he spoke about a situation with such clarity and ended up saying, "sometimes we get so comfortable with someone that we forget to be kind." I kind of tuned out at that point and thought.

I thought about all the people that I have been unkind to as of late. I have become so used to others' presence in my life, that I stop extending the grace and the respect they deserve as a human being, as a child of God. Kindness...

My dad officiated at our wedding, and one of the things I will never forget that he said in encouragement for the journey ahead of us was, "just be kind to one another." You can never be too kind. Thinking of the other person with respect and dignity, not brushing them off with a quick "yeah" or "no!"

I'm reminded of a verse that always brings me hope, "The Lord's kindness leads us to repentance." The Lord is not too comfortable with me that he has given up on me. He still has hope for me even when I have given up on myself. When I think of kindness, I think of eye contact. When I have become too comfortable with someone, I give up eye contact with them. Interesting. The Lord still remains hopeful that I will return his kind look towards me.

So I am going to be more conscious of how kind I am to those who are closest to me. So if I'm looking you in the eye more...you'll know why.

1 comment:

Melissa Ens said...

We married wise men, didn't we?

I too am so grateful the Lord never stops being kind to me...